As part of our School Technology Plan, GHC (“GHC”) provides computer network and internet access for its students and employees. GHC teachers and students use the internet as an instructional tool, to communicate, collaborate, and to complete many of their assigned academic and professional responsibilities. Access to the internet is an integral part of the instructional program designed to help students meet the GHC Expected Schoolwide Learning Results.
Each year, students and employees must acknowledge receipt of an agreement with this Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP” or the “Policy”). Students who are under 18 must also have a parent or guardian sign this policy. By signing the Parent-Student Handbook agreement, the student, employee, and parent or guardian agree to follow the rules set forth in this Policy and to report any misuse of the computer network or the internet to a teacher or administrative director. Parties agreeing to this Policy also understand that GHC may revise the AUP, as it deems necessary. Any such changes will be posted on the GHC website: http://www.GhcTK12.com 58
Acceptable Use Policy for the Internet
Access to the GHC computer network (including, but not limited to: host computers, file servers, application servers, laptops, network hardware, printers, hand-held internet accessible devices, software, applications, data files, email systems, and all internal and external computer and communications networks and peripherals) and the internet is an integral part of the GHC instructional program and school operations. Failure to use the GHC computer network, internet access, and student and employee accounts for exclusively educational or professional purposes may result in disciplinary action.
Students and employees may have several user accounts authorized by GHC, including, but not limited to: network access, email, calendars, file storage, applications (apps), instructional and professional resources. User accounts refer to any account created for educational or professional use while using the GHC network. All accounts created for use while at GHC should use the user’s GHC email account for registration. GHC accounts should not be used for personal purposes.
User accounts may only be used during the time the User is a student or employee of GHC. Each account owner is responsible for using it properly. The student or employee may be required to change the password the first time he or she uses the user account and routinely thereafter. Use of passwords to gain access to the GHC network does not imply that the User has an expectation of security or privacy.
If a User is uncertain about whether a particular use of the computer network, website, application, or email is appropriate, he or she should consult a teacher or administrative director.
Unacceptable Uses of the Computer Network, Email or Internet
1. Uses that violate any state or federal law, municipal ordinance, or GHC Policy are unacceptable. Unacceptable uses include, but are not limited to:
a. Selling or purchasing any illegal substance;
b. Accessing, transmitting, or downloading child pornography, obscene depictions, harmful materials, or materials that encourage others to violate the law; or
c. Transmitting or downloading confidential information or copyrighted materials.
2. Uses that involve accessing, transmitting or downloading inappropriate materials on the internet, as determined by the GHC Governing Board or any related authority.
3. Uses that involve obtaining and/or using anonymous email sites.
4. Uses that involve circumventing the GHC network, filtering and/or firewall.
5. Uses that cause harm to others or damage to their property are unacceptable.
Unacceptable uses include, but are not limited to the following when done while using a GHC device or the GHC network:
1. Engaging in an act of bullying, including, but not limited to, bullying committed by means of an electronic act.
2. Deleting, copying, modifying, or forging other User’s emails, files, or data.
3. Installing or using encryption software on any GHC device or the GHC network.
4. Accessing another User’s account for any purpose, even with consent.
5. Damaging computer equipment, files, data or the network.
6. Using profane, abusive, or impolite language.
7. Disguising one’s identity, impersonating other Users, or sending anonymous messages.
8. Threatening, harassing, or making defamatory or false statements about others.
9. Accessing, transmitting, or downloading offensive, harassing, or disparaging materials.
10. Accessing, transmitting, or downloading computer viruses or other harmful files or programs, or in any way degrading or disrupting any computer system performance including, but not limited to “email bombs.”
11. Accessing, transmitting, or downloading large files, including “chain letters” or any type of “pyramid schemes.”
12. Using any GHC computer to undertake “hacking,” “phishing” or “spamming” internal or external to GHC, or attempting to access information that is protected by privacy laws.
13. Access and Interference: Using any robot, spider, other automatic device, or manual process to monitor or copy GHC web pages or the content contained thereon or for any other unauthorized purpose; or, using any device, software or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the GHC website and/or network.
14. Abusing GHC network resources such as emailing mass mailings and chain letters, engaging in spam, subscribing to a non-work or non-school related listserv or group, spending excessive time on the internet for personal reasons, playing games, streaming music or videos, engaging in non-GHC related online chat groups, printing multiple copies of documents or otherwise creating unnecessary network traffic (intentionally or unintentionally).
15. Uses that jeopardize access or lead to unauthorized access into Accounts or other networks are unacceptable. Unacceptable uses include, but are not limited to the following:
a. Using others’ User Account passwords or identifiers.
b. Disclosing one’s Account password to other Users or allowing other Users to use one’s Account.
c. Gaining unauthorized access into others’ User Accounts or other computer networks.
d. Interfering with other Users’ ability to access their Accounts.
16. Commercial uses are unacceptable. Unacceptable uses include, but are not limited to the following:
a. Selling or buying anything over the internet for non-GHC related personal or financial gain.
b. Using the internet for non-GHC related advertising, promotion, or financial gain.
c. Conducting for-profit business activities and engaging in non-governmental related fundraising or public relations activities such as solicitation for religious purposes, lobbying for political purposes, or soliciting votes.
d. Sending any email that is deceptive, misleading, or violates any state or federal statute or regulation including, but not limited to, the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003, or any state email or deceptive practice statute.