Labor Day is upon us, along with several important holidays and observances upcoming shortly thereafter. We are writing to inform you of the current Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LACDPH) and Center for Disease Control (CDC) advisory regarding travel. We understand the desire of families to travel for Labor Day and other holidays; however, travel increases the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
The LACDPH and CDC guidelines are that unvaccinated individuals who travel should take additional precautions, including COVID-19 testing before and after travel and a quarantine period after travel. Please review the following guidelines to protect yourself and others from the virus, even if you have been vaccinated.
- Do not travel if you are sick or are in either isolation or quarantine.
- If you are fully vaccinated, get tested 1-3 days prior to traveling. You do NOT need to get tested or self-quarantine upon return if you are fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 in the past 3 months.
- If you are not fully vaccinated, it is best to defer travel until you are fully vaccinated. If you do choose to travel, you should follow the CDC domestic and international travel guidance for unvaccinated people which includes:
- Pre travel testing 1-3 days prior
- Post travel testing 3-5 days after return AND self-quarantine for a full 7 days upon return from travel, even if you have a negative COVID-19 test result. If you don’t get tested, stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days upon returning to Los Angeles County after travel.
See the LACDPH Travel Advisory and Guidance for more details.
Thank you for your care and attention to these public health measures that will help protect your health and the health of others. We appreciate your collaboration in the effort to slow the spread of COVID-19. Stay safe and healthy.